Story by Channel22Media Reporter
Governor James Nyoro has said the county is facing a financial challenge as the county's own source revenue has dropped by 60% while money from the exchequer is none forthcoming.
Click here for more https://channel22media.com/
Nyoro speaking at the county government headquarters offices in Kiambu town on Friday announced that the county is no longer collecting its own source revenue from market traders, boda bodas and matatus.
“All the people who are participating in the market, we are not charging. We stopped charging the sh 20 that we were charging before. We will continue not to charge further we stopped charging boda bodas we are trying to caution them against the covid-19 effects, further in matatus we are only charging 40% of what we used to charge,” said Nyoro.
He said on the part of bars the county government has stopped licensing adding that even when they resume licensing of the bars for the period they have been closed they will not be charged .
“For the period when the bars shall be closed we are not going to charge. If it is six months we shall not charge we will charge the months that you are in operation and nobody should harass the business people,’ Said Nyoro.
On single business permit the county government waived for last year and now due to difficulties it has been suspended until the economy comes back.
He called on Kiambu business people who businesses have been hurt to come out and partner with the county government so that they can be shown on business development and will recommend them to Kenya Commercial bank to get recovery funding which they have set aside of sh 1.3 billion
“We want the people of Kiambu and the MCAs and kenyans to understand that the counties are facing a lot of challenges. We have not yet received our money from the national government since January,” said Nyoro.
Nyoro said that the national government today owes Kiambu more than sh 2.5 billion and county workers have not yet been paid.
“The frontline workers who have been working on this covid-19 can you imagine we have not paid them their March salary because our money is lying somewhere in the treasury,” said Nyoro.
The county head said that it is a shame that farmers are getting seeds when the rains have started which has been prompted by the challenge of lack of money.
“We can only be late in releasing seeds to farmers because we have to pay the suppliers before they can supply,” said Nyoro.
He added that county hospitals are getting full with covid-19 patients.
“Tigoni hospital which is the county covid-19 centre is getting admission of average 10 patients every day, unfortunately those who are admitted 90% are dependent on oxygen,” said Nyoro.
Nyoro said that covid-19 patients are not charged and yet they are spending sh 30,000 per day per person for 21 days they are admitted.
“The money was not planned for and that is money that was supposed to go and buy drugs, pay workers and money to go pay suppliers now the other suppliers are threatening saying if you do not pay us we will stop supplying you,” said Nyoro.

Comments
Post a Comment