Skip to main content

KENYAN FAMILY APPEALS FOR JUSTICE AS SON MARKS FIFTH YEAR IN UAE DETENTION OVER FRAUD ALLEGATIONS

 For five years, the family of James Kariuki, a Kenyan detained in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), has lived in despair, clinging to hope that he will one day return home. Kariuki, who maintains his innocence, remains incarcerated after being convicted in a complex fraud case that his family insists was orchestrated by imposters using his stolen identity.


Speaking from their Kangoya village, Kiambu home, during a church mass convened to give the family spiritual comfort and pray for devine intervention Kariuki’s father, John Thiong’o, expressed the anguish of watching his son suffer in a foreign land.


“How can I raise over Sh80 million to bail out my son? Even if I sold everything I own or held a harambee, it would still not be enough. I feel helpless as a parent,” Thiong’o said, adding that he has sought help from various government offices without success despite the case being raised in Parliament.


Kariuki’s mother, Esther Wambui, echoed the frustration, questioning why UAE authorities have failed to verify facts that, in her view, would prove her son’s innocence.


“If indeed he stole that money, let them investigate us as a family—our bank accounts, our property. Do we look like people who could hide such millions? How could he have stolen money while in detention?” she asked.


Kariuki travelled to the UAE in May 2020 after losing his job as a security guard in Kenya. While searching for work, he encountered a Nigerian national who promised employment but allegedly disappeared with his identification documents, which were later used in fraudulent activities.


On August 13, 2020, Kariuki was arrested alongside a Ugandan national and accused of electronic fraud involving AED1.18 million (Sh41.6 million). Despite denying involvement and insisting that his documents had been misused, he was convicted on September 15, 2020, and sentenced to one year in prison, followed by deportation.


While serving his sentence, another fraud incident involving AED2 million (Sh70 million) emerged in 2021, with prosecutors again linking Kariuki to the scheme—even though he was already behind bars. His lawyer, Jumaa Maleh of Maleih Advocates & Legal Consultants, argues that it was “physically impossible” for Kariuki to commit the crime while incarcerated.


Court documents show that the fraud involved the creation of a fake email resembling that of Arab Rock Engineering, which tricked Oceanic Wave International into transferring funds to fraudulent accounts. Transactions continued through the accounts even after Kariuki’s detention, raising doubts about his involvement.

 Esther Wambui (L) Thiong’o (C) displaying a picture of their son Kariuk who is detained at UAE for the last 5 years without Justice 

Despite this, Kariuki was convicted, fined AED2 million (Sh81 million), and ordered to pay nine percent annual interest. Unable to raise the amount, he remains in detention.


His lawyer maintains that Kariuki’s trial was marred by inconsistencies, poor legal representation, and disregard of evidence proving he was in prison when the second fraud occurred. The Ugandan national arrested alongside him was acquitted, despite allegedly receiving over AED755,000.


“This case highlights not only identity theft but also the shortcomings of navigating a foreign justice system,” Maleh said, adding that his client’s appeal is still pending.


Kariuki, who previously worked for Transguard Group LLC in Dubai for seven years without any criminal record, continues to fight to prove his innocence.


The case has caught the attention of Kenyan lawmakers, with Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris and Githunguri MP Gathoni Wamuchomba both demanding answers from the government regarding Kariuki’s prolonged detention.


Kiambu MP John Machua pressed Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi to explain what steps the ministry was taking to intervene on behalf of Kariuki, calling the situation a grave injustice that should not be ignored.


“This is a Kenyan citizen languishing in a foreign jail under questionable circumstances. The government must act decisively to bring him home,” Machua said.


Responding on the floor of the House, Prime Cabinet Secretary and Foreign Affairs CS Musalia Mudavadi confirmed that the matter had been raised with UAE authorities through diplomatic channels. He assured lawmakers that the government was pursuing the case at the highest level, while urging patience as discussions continued.


For Kariuki’s parents, every day that passes without resolution deepens their pain.

“All we want is justice for our son,” Wambui said. “We will not stop pleading until he is free.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jitume ICT Hub Launched in Ndumberi to Equip Youth with Digital Skills

Kiambu MP Machua Waithaka (centre) and Konza Technopolis Director Peter Muchendu (right) look on as youths are guided on how to search for jobs online at the newly launched Ndumberi ICT Hub (photo Courtesy) Jitume ICT Hub Launched in Ndumberi to Empower Youth with Digital Skills Kiambu Sub-County Member of Parliament Machua Waithaka has officially launched the Jitume ICT Hub program, a free digital training initiative designed to equip young people with vital skills for the modern job market. Speaking during the launch in Ndumberi, Waithaka revealed that at least 200 youths have already enrolled in the three-month program. The training will cover web development, virtual assistance, transcription, content creation, academic writing, entrepreneurship, forex trading, and basic computer packages. “We want to prepare our young people for the golden opportunities in the digital world,” said the MP. “Technology is the future, and with these skills, our youth can access jobs and even create e...

POLICE SEIZE BHANG WORTH SH10 MILLION IN THIKA

Police in Thika have intercepted 12 sacks of bhang with a street value of approximately Sh10 million, arresting two suspects and impounding a Toyota TX Prado believed to have been used in transporting the drugs. Thika West Sub-County Police Commander, Lawrence Muchangi, confirmed the incident, saying the suspects were nabbed during a routine patrol in the Kimuchu area, Kamenu Ward. “Our officers, who were on patrol, noticed a vehicle parked suspiciously by the roadside. When they approached, some of the occupants fled the scene. Luckily, we managed to arrest two suspects, and upon inspection, we discovered 12 sacks of bhang hidden inside the Prado,” said Mr. Muchangi. The vehicle was towed to Thika Police Station, where it is being held as part of ongoing investigations. The suspects are expected to be arraigned in court later today. Mr. Muchangi further noted that the Kimuchu area has become notorious for drug trafficking activities, but assured residents that police have intensified ...

Kiambu Traders Accuse County Askaris of Harassment, Bribery & Property Theft

   click to play  Channel22media .  The Kiambu subcounty business comChannel22media.community has faulted the county government enforcement team for harassment and intimidation accusing them of stealing their properties during operation of non compliance to pay a single business permit. According to the traders they said that the county enforcement officers have pounced on many businesses with impunity, picking properties without taking any inventory of the items picked and hence arrest occupants of the businesses. The traders said that the officers demand a bribe of Kshs 2,000 to return items confiscated during the raid for the business owner not to be charged in court. The traders who did not pay the bribe and opted to be taken to court were charged with operating without a license and given a police cash bail of Ksh 5,000. The accused traders appearing before kiambu senior principal magistrate M. Opondo gave orders that the items confiscated by enforcement off...